Friday, May 24, 2013

Being A Jammer Part 1

When you are a jammer there is about four main things that you need to do to be the best you can be out there. The first one has to be SPEED. If you don't have speed then you aren't going to be able to catch up to the pack or just in general get through those tiny holes that close in seconds. You have to have speed to be a effective Jammer.
Now Jammers used to have about five to ten to maybe twenty feet before they would come in contact with the blockers at the beginning of the jam. We all know now that doesn't happen anymore. Now all of the blockers stuff themselves right before the jammer line. Jammers no longer have any room to gain speed. The blockers are inches in front of them.
I know many people do not like the 'Scrum' start or how the blockers stuff themselves right before the jammer line. I used to hate it too. I hated that I wouldn't have any room to gain speed or anytime to find those holes. But as my team started doing this more and more I started loving it.
I wasn't running into the back of the pack anymore with so much speed that I couldn't slow down. I used to be the biggest back blocker in the world if I came up to a strong four wall. Now I don't have any speed I just have to use my force to get through the wall. I'm not saying I still don't get back blocks because I do. :(
I'm getting less back blocks now. ;-)
Jammers still need speed right off the line though, even if the blockers are inches in front of them. They need to get through some of the smallest holes in the matter of seconds.
To get through the scrum start I usually commit to one spot right before the jam is about to start. As soon as the whistle blows I go to that spot. Now all the blockers are going to be looking at me committing to that one spot. They are going to be trying to box me in, hit me out, anything that they can to get me out. That is when you switch your plan. As they are all moving to go get you out you go to where the holes are. This is where the whole speed aspect comes in. If you were on the outside line and they left a hole on the inside you have to be able to get there before they can. You could do this in many way. My favorite is jumping. I just jump to that spot and go for the hole.
I have to have speed to get from the outside to the inside. And then after that I have to have enough speed to leave the pack behind me.
I have seen to many jammers get eaten back into the pack after they get out because they aren't pushing to get away from them. Trust me I am one of those blockers who will go to the last possible second if I have the chance to get the jammer out.
One of my favorite skater Kay-Otic will even chase the jammer and then at the last second bark at them to throw them off. I have tried this once or twice before and it works too. A lot of jammers don't understand that when you are out of the pack your job isn't done. You have to have enough speed to get back around again.
When I get out of the pack I start my crossover and skating the diamond right away. I have to gain that speed in a matter of seconds. I have had blockers chase me to the last possible second. Some blockers have even fallen off my back as they try to hit me. Even Kay has barked at me to throw me off. When you get out of the pack you can't let this things distract you. What you need to worry about is gaining back your speed to get back around to the pack.
It's all about speed.

Kay-Otic barking at the jammer. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment